lunedì, ottobre 18, 2004

shacktastic

So this is my new favorite word: Shacknasty. As in Shacknasty Jim, an Indian fighter in the Modoc Wars. I learned about Shacknasty Jim in this book I just finished; River of Shadows by Rebecca Solnit. So good! It was about Eadweard Muybridge, who was the first person to photograph movement in 1872, and his role in the creation ofthe Californian identity. I'm usually not that interested in Western history, but this book was really well written and engaging, and also included many interesting anectdotes. One of my favorites was about Joshua Norton, who in 1859 proclaimed himself "Emperor of the United States" as well as the "Protector of Mexico." Whats really great is that until the end of his life, people accepted him into their homes and gave him stuff, never ostracizing him. Somehow I think if I proclaimed myself emperor of the US, people probably wouldn't give me the same reception. Although you never know...

1 commento:

Jason ha detto...

I would probably vote for you for emperor, if there was an election, which there probably wouldn't be because the very definition of being emperor doesn't really allow for that, but in this theoretical world that we are discussing, there might be elections, and in that case I would vote for you.