mercoledì, dicembre 13, 2006

maybe all i need is a shot in the arm

Today, as I was reaching new heights of being a bad employee, I stumbled onto an internet discussion about "ghetto lattes." Apparently, the ethics of ordering an iced americano and then adding some amount of half and half to make it latte-like has various members of the legal community up in arms. No, seriously. There are blogs and discussion forums devoted to this topic. Wikipedia has a "ghetto latte" entry. What I want to know is how exactly did this come about? Was it one person, who told his friends, and word just spread? Did multiple people come up with the idea until it became a national phenomenon*? And furthermore (and perhaps most baffling), was the University of Chicago Law professor serious when he said he didn't drink coffee and only ordered hot chocolate. Of all the various issues that a ghetto latte has raised, I find the professor who eschews caffeine by far the most baffling.

Tonight,
I was craving brownies, so I headed to my local Safeway. As I waited in
the check out line, a foreign man came up to the checker and asked
where the brandy was. The check out guy answered that Safeway doesn't sell
liquor, and that the man would have to go to a liquor store (seriously,
Oregon- and for that matter, most other states in the nation- what is
that all about?). As he began to explain where the nearest liquor store
was, theforeign man interrupted and asked if there was a liquor store
on I-5, as he was travelling north, and didn't want to stray too far
from the freeway. Is it just me, or is there something off in this
story? Generally when I'm driving long distances, I don't find myself
needing to stop in the middle for booze. But hey, maybe that's just me.

Recently,
I stumbled onto this website. This woman takes romance novel covers and changes
the titles for instant hilarity.
For example:



It's wrong, but it makes me giggle:



Okay, so that's enough randomness for one night.

Or is it???

* apparently, for me a national phenomenon constitutes internet discussions on multiple websites

1 commento:

Jason ha detto...

I think the people writing on that blog about "ghetto lattes" are just itching to use their law degree...wherever they can.