venerdì, settembre 23, 2005

Things I would rather do than read Matthew Arnold

Okay, so for the past week, I've been trying to read Matthew Arnold's Culture and Anarchy for my class this Tuesday. For those of you unfamiliar- Matthew Arnold was a cultural critic who wrote in the 19th century about things like "sweetness and light." I do not like Matthew Arnold. Reading his work is not fun. It is infact, the antithesis of fun. It is pain. And so, with this attitude, you can imagine all the things I've managed to do rather than my reading this week. I've:
1. cleaned my room (multiple times in fact, there has been a lot of tidying going on lately- my parents would be so proud)
2. done my laundry (which is not to say that when my reading is not painful, I don't do my laundry, but probably with less enthusiasm)
3. done the dishes (see number 2)
4. cleaned the kitchen floor
5. gone grocery shopping
6. shopped for things on ebay
7. done my other reading (of which there was plenty, believe me)
8. gone to coffee shops (technically to read, but I ended up mostly people watching and looking for light switches in dark restrooms)
9. gone to work (okay, so that wasn't really instead of doing my reading and I kind of have to go to work on a regular basis, but still, work with me here)
10. plucked my eyebrows (the pain of the is nothing compared to the pain of reading Arnold)
11. gone to multiple free food events on campus (okay, so the second one I had to go to for work, because my work was hosting it, so its not like I'm canvasing campus looking for free food...)
12. posted on this blog (which you would think in light of things, I would have done more often this week, but I really didn't have anything to say, and I was sort of busy with all the other non-Matthew Arnold related activities)

Now don't let my witty and wry writing (try saying that three times fast) fool you, I did do some of my reading; it was just painful and very unpleasent. And there's still more to do, *sigh*.

(and Vanessa, I know you laid down the law as far as lists were concerned, but I couldn't remember what the correct rules were, so do what I do and blame Bush- it's probably his fault somewhere down the line)

1 commento:

Jason ha detto...

Hooray for procrastination!